Ethiopian Food
Someone asked about Ethiopian food, and though I've only been here a short while, I will do my best to give you a primer. There is a website called Ethiopan Restaurant at http://www.ethiopianrestaurant.com/ that has a lot of detailed information and can also find an Ethiopian resto anywhere in the world.
The basis of a traditional meal is wat, or stew. These can be of lamb, beef, or chicken as well as veggie choices. The stews are served on injera which is a flat cloth-like bread made from tef, and indiginous grain. It's consistency is sort of like.....J-cloth, or very thin crumpet. The large injera in laid on a flat dish and the stews are placed on it. You tear off a piece of injera and scoop up some stew. The trick is not to get your fingers dirty and to only use the right hand. I had a couple of meals in Montreal and Ottawa before I left to get the hang of it; I have had only one injera-based meal here so far. I had tibs, which were basically strips of beef stir fried with peppers. if you want more details about Ethiopian food, go to the website above. The food can be spicy or not depending n your tastes. I hope that answers your questions.
2 Comments:
Brilliant insights! When you say that they need two hands to shake yours, why is that? Is it because you really are a "bad ass". My sister was in Badah Aceh in Maylasia recently on a red cross aid mission. She experienced the right hand thing for eating as well saying that it was due to the left being the hand that one cleans one's behind after having a bowel movement....(yes that is as polite as I could put that) Is the same rationale used there?
Yes, Scott, that's whythe righthand thing is a "tradition" a very practical tradition at that.
Post a Comment
<< Home